Friday, March 2, 2012

Grandma's Beef Stew (with Dumplings)

The perfect dinner for a cold, snowy winter night.....Grandma's Beef Stew with Dumplings! Here is my version of my grandmothers beef stew recipe along with my mothers drop dumplings. Whenever I make this my husband eats seconds, thirds, fourths, you get the idea!
This recipe couldn't be more simple. First I gathered the ingredients: carrots, beef stock base, an onion, salt/pepper, oil and some stew meat.


I chopped up the onion and cooked it in a heavy bottom pot until it was translucent.

Then I added the meat (that had been salt and peppered) to the pan and browned it on all sides.

Next I added in the pealed and chopped carrots for a few minutes, just to coat them in the onion and meat mixture.


Finally I added 2 teaspoons of the beef stock base and 4 cups of water. I let this come to a rapid boil for 5 minutes and then covered and cooked the stew on a medium low heat for an hour. At this point, salt and pepper to taste. At the end of the hour I brought the stew back up to a rapid boil to make the dumplings.


To make the dumplings I mixed flour, milk and an egg into a thick dough.

I then poured the dough into the boiling stew, put the lid back on the pot and cooked for 5 more minutes until the dumplings were cooked through.

Recipe Recap:
1 lb stew meat
Carrots (peeled and chopped)
1 medium onion chopped
1 tbsp Beef Stock Base
4 cups water
1 Tsp Vegetable Oil
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
Salt/Pepper

Cook the onions in a heavy bottom pot. Add the meat to brown. Add in the carrots, water and stock base. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes and then cover and simmer for an hour. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring the stew back to a boil. Mix together the flour, egg and milk and pour into boiling stew. Cover and allow the dumplings to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment