Sunday, February 5, 2012

Apple Turnovers


I have never worked with puff pastry before, but I had some apple pie filling in my freezer so I thought that I would give it a go.

Every fall, my hubby and I like to go apple picking, but its always hard to eat all the apples just between the two of us. Often I will cook and freeze some of the apples to use as apple pie filling or applesauce throughout the winter months. To do this, I cut and peeled 6 large apples. In a medium sauce pan I cooked the apples with a few tablespoons of water, a few tablespoons of sugar (more or less depending on the sweetness of the apples) and a teaspoon of cinnamon. I cook this mixture until the apples are soft, but not completely falling apart. You can either eat this right away as applesauce, or freeze for later. It also makes a great apple pie filling.

Today, I decided to use some of the frozen apple pie filling for these turnovers. You could use canned apple pie filling, or fresh apples, whatever you happen to have will work just fine.

Gather together all of the ingredients: the apple mixture, an egg, 2 sheets of puff pastry and some sugar to sprinkle on top (I used large sugar crystals, but you can use anything that you have).


Cut each of the pastries into 4 equal squares. Beat the egg and brush it over the inside surfaces of each square. Evenly divide the apple mixture between the 8 pastry squares. Fold over each of the squares and use a fork to seal the edges. Brush the egg wash over the outside of each of the pastry triangles and sprinkle with the sugar. Use a knife to poke a hole or two into each triangle to let any steam vent out.


Bake the pastry puffs for 15-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Let them cool for about 10 minutes.



Serve and enjoy!



Recipe Recap:

2 cups Apple Pie Filling
2 sheet puff pastry (cut into 8 equal pieces)
1 beaten egg
sugar for sprinkling on top

Place a small amount of the apple pie filling into each puff pastry square. Seal the edges of each triangle using a fork and brush some of the egg onto one. Use a knife to poke a hole into each triangle and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees and let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment