Friday, February 10, 2012

Creative Ways to use up Leftovers

Looking inside my fridge on Tuesday, I realized that I had a lot of Superbowl leftovers. Most of a veggie tray, half a jar of pasta sauce, pepperoni slices and half block of cheese. I hate wasting food, so I decided to figure out a way to use all of this.

The simple first fix was to roast the veggies in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. I just drizzled olive oil over the veggies and tossed on some salt.
 Since the rest of the ingredients had me halfway to pepperoni pizza I decided to pull out some chicken tenders and bread crumbs and make some Pizza Chicken Roll Ups. 

To start I pounded out the chicken tenders and rolled pepperoni and mozzarella into each one.
I rolled each one in bread crumbs, egg wash (one egg and a little water) and then back in the bread crumbs.

The rolls went into a baking dish:
and then I topped the rolls with the rest of the cheese and the pasta sauce.
These went into the 350 degree oven for 35 minutes alongside the carrots. When they came out, they looked like this:

Served with the carrots, this made a pretty tasty dinner and used up the rest of the Superbowl leftovers!

Recap of Recipe:
1/2 block of mozzarella, shredded
6 chicken tenders
1/2 jar of pasta sauce
24 slices of pepperoni
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
Leftover veggies
Salt/Olive oil

Pound out the chicken and roll with pepperoni and cheese. Roll in bread crumbs and egg wash, top with more cheese and pasta sauce. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. At the same time, toss the veggies in oil and salt and cook for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment